Novel Coronavirus Info

Following the outbreak of Novel Coronavirus is China, the number of queries I have received on this issue have increased. 

I hope to answer a few of the most popular queries here:

I am a Tamworth resident in Wuhan what do I do?

The authorities in China are advising people in the Hubei province stay indoors and avoid contact with other people.

Due to the increasing travel restrictions and difficulty accessing medical assistance the FCO are working to make an option available for British nationals to leave the Hubei Province.  This may be at short notice.

If you wish to leave, call the 24/7 support number on +86 (0) 10 8529 6600 or if you are in Britain with concerns about a resident in Wuhan who wishes to leave telephone (+44) 0207 008 1500 to register your desire to leave.  The FCO will then contact you directly to confirm arrangements.

Other parts of China still have travel options available as normal.  However it may become harder over the coming weeks for those who wish to leave China to do so.  If you feel that you may want to leave China soon, you should consider making plans before any further restrictions may be imposed.

Chinese authorities are focused on tackling the impact of the virus in different ways including temperature checks at transport hubs and other locations, quarantine arrangements and restrictions on travel between cities.  Medical facilities are also under significant pressure and some businesses and tourist attractions are closed. 

For more advice or what to do in an emergency visit:


I am due to visit China, what should I do?

The FCO have advised against all travel to the Hubei Province in China due to the outbreak of the virus.  Other parts of China remain accessible but it is worth knowing that the Chinese government continue to impose further restrictions on movement within China to respond to the outbreak.   

You should comply with any additional screening measures put in place by the local authorities.

The Ministry of Culture and Tourism in China has suspended all tour group companies' activities to prevent virus spread. 

You should always take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travel and carry your passport at all times.  Your travel agent will also be able to provide further specifics on your trip and whether any parts of the itinerary have been cancelled or amended. 

For more information visit


What is the situation in Britain?

To date there are no confirmed cases in our country.  The risk to our population has been assessed as low.  As of the 27 January 73 tests for the virus have been taken and all of which were confirmed negative.

If and when a case is the United Kingdom is confirmed it will be announced as soon as possible by the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty.

No system of checks can offer absolute protection because of the incubation period of the virus.  Public Health England is taking an enhanced monitoring approach to ensure that travellers from Wuhan get the right information about what to do if they become unwell. 

Screening is also taking place at airports with direct flights from China. We encourage those who have visited Wuhan in the last 14 days to self isolate and avoid contact where possible. 

If you have symptoms of the virus contact your GP or NHS 111 informing them of your symptoms and recent travel.  You will then be contacted with further advice and support. 

The NHS and Public Health England have an established plan to respond quickly and reduce the risk to others. 

More info on the issue can be found here: