Covid19 and recent storms have served as a reminder for us all that people's circumstances can sometimes change very quickly, this includes their need for support.
Water companies across the United Kingdom, including our local one South Staffordshire Water understand this an offer free help to customers so whatever their circumstances, they can have appropriate access to services.
This service is known as the 'Priority Services Register', and allows water companies (and other utilities) to provide tailored assistance and to respond quickly during water emergencies such as floods or loss of supply. The Consumer Council For Water notes that only 44% are aware of the service so hope more who may need it will sign up.
The service can provide assistance such as
- help reading the meter
- password protection schemes
- large print or braile and audio documents
- Alternative language documents or interpreters
- bottled water when water is switched off
- extra help if boil notice or flood warning is issued
- support with bills, especially if you use a lot of water due to a health condition
- Hands on help in an emergency
You can sign up to the priority services register by contacting your water company - For most people locally this will be South Staffs Water